The Susan E. & William P. Stiritz Endowment in Women's Studies, given to the University in 1998, supports an endowed chair in Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, held currently by Linda Nicholson, and a Women's Studies Fund, that provides more general support for the program. The endowment placed the university among the few that had an endowed chair in women's studies in the late 1990s.
Read the article
The Stiritz endowment is an important source of funding for the Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies program. In addition Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies has received bequests and contributions that, with the Stiritz endowment, have enriched the program in a variety of ways. They include funding for:
- Library acquisitions, including films and books related to gender studies
- Scholarships for Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies majors
- Summer and academic year internships
Research support for students, including the Andrea Biggs Undergraduate Research Award, is open to any student conducting gender research. The recipient receives $3000 for the summer, must not hold any other job, and must present her/his original research at a symposium.
We are seeking to enrich the Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies program in the following ways:
- By establishing a lecture series focused on global feminisms
- By establishing endowed visiting professorships in global feminisms and in sexuality studies
- By establishing endowed 2-year postdoctoral appointments in areas of program need
- By expanding the undergraduate internship program
- By expanding support for undergraduate summer research
- By establishing a Center for Research on Women, Gender, and Sexuality.
We would be very grateful for additional support for these and other areas of the Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Program. To help support the Program, please click here.
Click for a full list of awards available